LEGAL
Samarth Agarwal
2012-01-18 19:15:17 UTC
Hello!

I am here to inform you that soya3d is not getting to be used to it's full
potential,beacuse of GPL
it does not allow commercial products without giving users the source code
I would suggest you move to the LGPL
BEACAUSE:

1.If they make soya3d better they will be forced to realease it to the open
source comunity

2. more users will use it

3.GPL is not open source

I would recommend the MIT license for any libraries as it is truley open
source

bye!
Samarth AGARWAL
Pierre-Yves David
2012-01-19 15:08:06 UTC
Post by Samarth Agarwal
Hello!
I am here to inform you that soya3d is not getting to be used to it's full
potential,beacuse of GPL
I think you pin-point the very main issue of soya3d: It's licence choice.
Post by Samarth Agarwal
it does not allow commercial products without giving users the source code
I would suggest you move to the LGPL
1.If they make soya3d better they will be forced to realease it to the open
source comunity
2. more users will use it
3.GPL is not open source
Of course it is! There is event open source licence which are not free software
according to FSF definition of Free Software.

You may argue with this definition of Free Software from the FSF but any code
dumped to anyone with any licence is Open-Source.
Post by Samarth Agarwal
I would recommend the MIT license for any libraries as it is truley open
source
You recommend LGPL or MIT, make your mind.
Post by Samarth Agarwal
bye!
Samarth AGARWAL
Ok, I suggest you to go straight to you point:

Do you represent a entity which would like to use soya3d engine in a commercial
product?

If so, what are this product and what kind of contribution could be expect from
you?

Sincerely
Pierre-Yves David
Samarth Agarwal
2012-01-19 15:34:07 UTC
The lgpl license is an license similar to the gpl
while the gpl enforces that all variations are gpl

Also i might use soya3d for an commercial project
I am planning to go with opengl but might switch to soya3d
Post by Samarth Agarwal
I would recommend the MIT license for any libraries as it is truley open
source
You recommend LGPL or MIT, make your mind.
Post by Samarth Agarwal
bye!
Samarth AGARWAL
Pierre-Yves David
2012-01-19 16:12:51 UTC
Post by Samarth Agarwal
The lgpl license is an license similar to the gpl
while the gpl enforces that all variations are gpl
Yes, I'm aware of licence stuff: most of my day job code are published under an
LGPL licence, I'm a contributor to GPL one and user of multiple MIT licended project.
Post by Samarth Agarwal
Also i might use soya3d for an commercial project
I am planning to go with opengl but might switch to soya3d
We'll be happy to help people, and have new soya contributor to wake the
project up. But you should told us more about this project to convince us it
worth a licence change.

Make sure you are aware that soya3d is a fairly old piece of code and are quite
out of sync with the current 3D state of art.

You should be able to meet some soya licence holder on the freenode IRC
netword. Join the #soya channel to meet them.

See you soon.
--
Pierre-Yves David