Soya 0.14 and Fedora 11
a***@public.gmane.org
2009-06-28 21:36:34 UTC
Hello,

I tried to compile and run Soya under my Fedora. I succeeded in compiling and installing Soya as a Python extension but when I launch soya_editor or any other program that used Soya, I get an unreferenced symbol from the Soya shared library. The only warnings I get during compilation of Soya is that Pyrex will not be used. As far as I know, this isn't an issue because I didn't use CVS source but the official tarball of 0.14 version.

It seems that a function of openGL (mesa implementation in my case) is not resolved at run-time. But all mesa libraries are installed, and moreover are the Nvidia drivers loaded, I can't understand where the problem lies. 3D acceleration is functional with other applications.

The build log is attached and zipped.

If anyone got an idea ?

Here are two launch logs :
[***@srv01 rpmbuild]$ soya_editor
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/soya_editor", line 21, in <module>
import soya
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/soya/__init__.py", line 28, in <module>
from soya._soya import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/soya/_soya.so: undefined symbol: gluTessBeginContour

[***@srv01 arkanae3]$ ./arkanae3
* Arkanae 3 * Arkanae 3 lives in /home/builder/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/ArkanaeIII-0.1-1.fc11.i386/usr/share
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./arkanae3", line 120, in <module>
from arkanae3.game import *
File "/usr/share/arkanae3/game.py", line 24, in <module>
exec "import arkanae3.driver_%s as driver" % globdef.DRIVER
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/share/arkanae3/driver_3d.py", line 19, in <module>
import soya, soya.gui, soya.opengl as opengl, soya.label3d as label3d
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/soya/__init__.py", line 28, in <module>
from soya._soya import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/soya/_soya.so: undefined symbol: gluTessBeginContour

The dependencies from my RPM is :
[***@srv01 rpmbuild]# rpm -qpR RPMS/i586/python-soya-0.14-3.fc11.i586.rpm
/usr/bin/python
Pyrex
SDL
cal3d
freetype
glew
gnu-free-fonts-common
libGLEW.so.1.5
libSDL-1.2.so.0
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
libcal3d.so.12
libfreetype.so.6
libm.so.6
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libode.so.1
libopenal.so.0
libpng
libpthread.so.0
libpython2.6.so.1.0
libstdc++.so.6
mesa-libGLU
ode
openal
python >= 2.2
python(abi) = 2.6
python-imaging
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets) <= 4.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rtld(GNU_HASH)
a***@public.gmane.org
2009-06-30 09:02:41 UTC

Finaly, after 101 Python importError crash course and a deep readelf to find in which library was the missing symbol, I found that a shared library was not loaded by the magic __init__.py script : libGLU.so.

I create a patch for fedora based system that force libGLU.so to be loaded by Python (why is libGLU not loaded in order to satisfy libGLEW dependencies, a mystery ?). I moved on the next problem : another missing Python module. But that should not be that difficult to correct this, right ?

A last question, if someone know, is this normal that soya_editor tries to open '/dev/nvidiactl' and not obtain it ?

Here the logs :
[***@srv01 rpmbuild]$ soya_editor
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
* Soya * Using 8 bits stencil buffer

* Soya * version 0.14
* Using OpenGL 2.1.2 NVIDIA 185.18.14
* - renderer : GeForce 7300 GT/PCI/SSE2
* - vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
* - maximum number of lights : 8
* - maximum number of clip planes : 6
* - maximum number of texture units : 4
* - maximum texture size : 4096 pixels

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/soya_editor", line 25, in <module>
import soya.editor, soya.editor.main, Tkinter
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/soya/editor/__init__.py", line 20, in <module>
import Tkinter, dircache, os, os.path, sets
ImportError: No module named Tkinter
* Soya3D * Quit...

Cheers,

Adrien SchrÚque